Voice/Vision Holocaust Survivor Oral History Archive

Sigmund Rubin - January 12, 1982

Hiding IV

And he knew that the farmer that we were at, he knew that we are in contact with him once in awhile. So he says, if you go down there to you, he'll find out about us. But I'm going to leave this for a moment. I'll go back to that uh, time when we were in the field we found a new place. When we found a new place we, after four days, we went back to that single man on the attic and get our stuff. But when we fled, when we left there we didn't take anything with us. You know, we had uh some all kinds of stuff. When we came into that place and we started to talk to the farmer, ??? was his name, we heard people outside. They circled around the building and in Polish, "Get out!" When we looked out the building was surrounded.

By who?

By Polish people. A band of those friends of this guy from the other side of the river. This is what happened. There, at that time there were four of us. I was with them. We went to pick up our stuff. The building was surrounded--the building--the little house, it was surrounded and we were inside. We had, among us was a very religious man and he started to say viddui--you know what viddui is--this is the last prayer before you die. We decided to knock a window out and jump. We had nothing to lose. And that little fellow, we had a little boy who was terrific who went with my wife to pick up the stuff. He had a rifle and we jumped the window and he fired twice in the air. They fired back to us and we jumped. They didn't hurt any one of us. It was in the middle of the night. I, they knew where they are, you see they were from the area. I was by myself and I didn't know where to go. I, I was afraid to call their attention because I didn't want to let them know where I am. Anyway, you wouldn't believe me, I started to walk in the middle of the night and I went to the place where we were, where, to the place we had. At that time my wife was there by herself. I came in I was unconscious for two days. I didn't know what, I didn't know what's going on with me. After two days we found out that nothing happened to anybody. They came back and we stayed there. Now I'll go back to the man with the asthma, to the man who we used to gave him a few dollars every month. When he came to that Yash... you know, to that friend of ours and he told him that he didn't see us, he wouldn't tell us where we are. He went to that farmer where we were hidden. When he got close to him they spotted him and they saw that they can't do nothing with us, that the only way out with us, to get rid of us, is to report to the Germans. It was a beautiful morning, the sun was out nice, we were in a barn at the time.

© Board of Regents University of Michigan-Dearborn